Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
In 1875, Canon William Newton, an Anglican minister who Canon Ridge is named after, arrived in the Edmonton settlement. He built his first church, a home, and a hospital in an area he called the Hermitage. The Hermitage was located about ten kilometres from Fort Edmonton. The Reverend Newton remained there for more than 25 years. Homes in Canon Ridge are within the Hermitage Area in northeast Edmonton.
Canon Ridge land development was held up during the 1960s while government officials and developers addressed concerns about residential development too near the industrial plants in the vicinity. By 1970 these concerns were resolved, and house contruction in Canon Ridge area began with mostly single detached houses and all townhomes.
A public open recreation space is located at the centre of the neighbourhood. Linkage to other Hermitage neighbourhoods on the west side of Canon Ridge is provided by collector roads and a system of bicycle and pedestrian pathways. The neighbourhood is split by Hermitage Road and Hooke Road, which serve as collectors for curvilinear and cul-de-sac interior residential streets.