Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Canora is one of a number of neighbourhoods that were once part of the former town of Jasper Place. Homes in Canora Edmonton have one of the highest rental to owner occupancy in Edmonton.
Residential development in the town of Jasper Place began during the 1930s and continued into the 1970s. By 1980, over 80 percent of the houses were built. Many of the original properties in Canora were small single detached houses. Today, a considerable number of homes in Canora have been redeveloped, with duplexes and apartment condominiums featuring prominently on 156 Street and south of 102 Avenue.
Canora came by its name in a fairly unusual fashion. In 1948, the West Jasper Place School District held a contest to name a new elementary school built at 154 Street and 105 Avenue. The winner of the contest was an eighth grade student, who noted that the site for the new school was located near the old Canadian Northern Railway line. By combining the first two letters of each word — ca-no-ra — the new name was created. The Canora school was opened in 1949, and the neighbourhood became known by the school’s name.