Houses for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Carlton is located in the northwest corner of residential Edmonton in the Castle Downs, Palisades area, 15 minutes from CFB Edmonton Garrison. Carlton is bounded on the north by 167 Avenue, on the east by the Oxford neighbourhood at 133 Street, south by the Cumberland neighbourhood at 153 Avenue and west at 142 Street.
Prior to residential development, the area was used primarily for agricultural cultivation, and the southern portion of Carlton was used for industrial purposes in the late 1970s. While a handful of homes were constructed in the 1990s, the bulk of construction started in the early 2000s. Carlton is predominantly a stand alone house district, with a few duplexes.
There are several natural areas within the community, including a woodlot containing indigenous species, located in the northwestern portion of Carlton and a focal point for Carlton is the south-centrally located stormwater management facility, which provides some amenity and open space for residents.
This neighbourhood is named after Fort Carlton. Following the naming convention for the Palisades area, all neighbourhoods are named after fur trade forts, posts, or houses. Fort Carlton, located near the junction of the North and South Saskatchewan Rivers, was established by the Hudson Bay Company as a fur trade and provision post in 1798. The strategic location of Fort Carlton made it a focal point for trade and commerce in the west.