Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Central McDougall is located between 111 Avenue and 105 Avenue, and 101 Street and 109 Street near Kingsway Avenue. In 1912, Edmonton was in the middle of a real estate boom. The Hudson’s Bay Company, after paving two miles of Portage Kingsway Ave, offered parts of its large land holdings in Central McDougall for sale. The real estate boom collapsed only a short time later, and many subdivisions lay vacant for years.
By the 1950s, most of Central McDougall was developed, and many of the houses south of 108 Avenue have now been replaced condominiums and commercial buildings. The small amount of industrial land found in the blocks immediately north of the 105th Avenue properties is the result of the downtown warehouse district. The hospital and two schools account for a large proportion of Central McDougall. Although Central McDougall has several older properties, many original home owners still reside in thier properties.
The Prince of Wales Armoury was built in 1915. In later years, the building not only housed military groups but cadets and various other organizations as well. Princess Patricia Park is named after Princess Patricia of Connaught, who was the Honorary Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry.
Central McDougall itself is named after John Alexander McDougall, an early Edmonton businessman, real estate developer, and city mayor. He opened the first general store on Jasper Avenue; a replica of the store is now located in Fort Edmonton Park. The Kingsway community was named to commemorate King George VI and Queen Elizabeth’s visit to Edmonton on June 2, 1939.