Houses for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Highlands is situated on land originally identified as River Lots 30, 32, and 34, and was owned by three Hudson Bay Company employees. Until the area came into the hands of real estate developers McGrath, Holgate, and Company, it seemed an unlikely candidate for early development, as it was situated three miles from the centre of Edmonton. McGrath-Holgate negotiated with the City to provide services and extend the electric streetcar line with subsidies provided by the developers.
While housing development in Highlands Edmonton began during the 1911 land boom, it did proceed—albeit at a slower pace—through the subsequent decades of slower growth, until a final development surge during the late 1940s and 1950s used up most of the remaining residential lots.
With the exception of commercial and apartment developments along 118 Avenue and in a few scattered locations, Highlands has remained an area of detached family houses. It also contains many significant heritage resources. The locally initiated Highlands Historical Foundation was established in 1988 to increase awareness about and initiate the preservation of heritage resources within the district.
The name Highlands was chosen in a contest that offered a 50-dollar prize to the person who provided the best name for the new subdivision.