Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
McKernan is bounded by University Avenue, 113 Street, 72 Avenue to the south, and 109 Street. McKernan and the City of Strathcona was amalgamated by Edmonton in 1912, but area development was delayed until McKernan Lake was drained in the 1940s. Between 1913 and 1947, the McKernan Lake Streetcar, known as the Toonerville Trolley, operated along 76 Avenue from Calgary Trail to 116 Street. The trolley was replaced with the streetcar in 1948. Residential houses in McKernan Edmonton was substantively completed between 1947 and 1953.
The first condominiums were added to McKernan in the 1950s, and additional apartments were added in the 1960s and 1970s. The northern portion of McKernan was subdivided in the traditional grid street pattern, but part of the southern portion was subdivided with a curvilinear street pattern. A small commercial centre is located in the centre of McKernan along 76 Avenue. The south Light Rail Transit extension includes a new LRT station located at 76 Avenue and 114 Street, providing home owners with improved transit access to amenities throughout the city.
This community was named after James McKernan, a prominent businessman and citizen of Edmonton’s early rival, the City of Strathcona. The land on which the McKernan now sits was part of the original land holding of James McKernan. The original farmhouse of the McKernan family, demolished in 1940, was located where the McKernan Elementary-Junior High School now sits.