Houses for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Newton is located in northeast part of the city beside Montrose. Homes in Newton Edmonton are bounded by 118 Avenue, the north by Yellowhead Trail, 50 Street, and by 58 Street.
Impatient for Edmonton to grow, developers subdivided southern Newton before it became part of the city in the early 1900s. A booming Edmonton soon absorbed Newton through two annexations. The portion north of 123 Avenue was annexed in 1912, and southern Newton joined Edmonton a year later. Prior to 1947, the southeast portion of Newton formed a continuous block of development with the Town of Beverly.
Newton’s southern half is laid out in a traditional grid format, and the lands north of 123rd Avenue are laid out along a modified grid system, reflecting the distinct period of development the neighbourhood experienced. Properties in Newton are primarily houses, with a limited number of condominiums.
The Newton neighbourhood was named in honour of Anglican Minister Reverend William Newton, who arrived in Edmonton in 1875 and built a church and hospital 10 kilometres east of Fort Edmonton.