Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
In 1882, the area now called Rundle Heights consisted of two land holdings at the northeast corner of the Edmonton Settlement. The area, located east of the Town of Beverly, remained a rural area beyond the limit of urban development until it was annexed to Edmonton in 1961, when Beverly was amalgamated with Edmonton. Prior to the annexation and for a decade after, the Beverly landfill site was located on the east side of Rundle Heights. The site was filled and restored progressively from south to north.
When the landfill site was closed in 1972, the area had been transformed into Rundle Park, a multi-purpose educational and recreational resource located in the North Saskatchewan River Valley. Residential development in Rundle Heights, including small scale row houses and apartment buildings, began in the southwest portion and proceeded north and east in the 1960s. Homes in the most easterly portion of Rundle Heights was built in the early 1970s. Residents in houses at the south and east borders of the neighbourhood enjoy a scenic view of Rundle Park and the river valley. Apartment consominiums and row house complexes in the north were added through the 1970s.
Rundle Heights was named in honour of the Reverend Robert Rundle, the first Protestant missionary to take up residence in the Edmonton area. He was sent to Edmonton in 1840 by the Methodist Missionary Society at the request of the Hudson Bay Company. Mount Rundle near Banff, Alberta, also bears the missionary’s name.