Buying an Acreages in Alberta
Knowing when to buy an Alberta acreage for sale depends on your perspective. Today, with the onset of covid 19 and feeling enclosed, living in the country has become increasingly more popular and with real estate prices based on supply and demand, now would be a better time to start house hunting for your Alberta acreage.
Usually, if you are looking for the best real estate deal, winter is definitely the best time to buy. Most buyers looking for a country residential home will not be looking once the snow has covered the ground and sellers who want to sell there acreage properties need to adjust the asking price accordingly to the current market. If you have never owned acreage in Alberta before, the best time to buy will be the spring when you can see the level of the ground and any runoffs and water pockets.
Here are some tips on buying acreages in Alberta.
- Decide whether you want to live in a country residential community with nearby neighbours or on a secluded property. Remember, the further you are from an urban municipality, the less likely you will have a strong internet connection.
- While it is impossible to view the raw land on an acreage in the winter, your Realtor can ask for a property disclosure from the seller regarding any concerns you may have. If you are buying an Alberta acreage in the spring, it is worth walking around all the land to see if some areas feel soft or soggy, especially in areas where past floods are common.
- Double-check the real property report. Just because the land seems endless, doesn't mean it all belongs to the property. You need to know where the actual boundaries are and current fencing may not represent the proper boundary locations.
- Research the local bylaws. They may not all for parking trailers or toys outside, particularly if restrictive covenants exist.
- Examine the septic field if you know where it is and have water tests done on well and septic systems. Inquire on the age and plan to replace them if needed. This can be a big expensive!
- Use a Realtor who specializes in Alberta acreages and who knows the area well. They will have more insight and knowledge which may save you both money and stress. Contact us for an Alberta acreage specialist.